The Oregon Wellness Program (OWP) promotes Oregon Healthcare Professionals’ well-being through education, coordinated regional counseling services, telemedicine services and research. Currently the program is open to physicians and physician assistants.
All medical professionals experience remarkable stress dealing with workplace and personal demands. Many aspects of the profession are rewarding and enhance the wonder of their lives. Other demands, however, can be negative and may become disabling. While medical professionals are resilient in the face of severe stress, they may become overwhelmed. Those are the times to reach out for support. OWP is structured to support physicians and PAs during these difficult times to find the necessary resources to rebuild rewarding professional and personal lives.
Free, confidential counseling is offered by experienced psychologists and psychiatrists in private settings or, in some areas, through telemedicine.
OWP is currently serving Central Oregon
- Developed and sanctioned by physician peers
- Healthcare professional initiated only; no relationship with third parties
- Confidential, private appointments
- Appointments available quickly and easily at physician-friendly times
- Locally selected psychiatrists and psychologists experienced with caring for healthcare professionals
- Minimal record keeping
- No cost up to a limit, no insurance billed, no report
- 24/7 support for healthcare professionals
The OWP will be introduced regionally, eventually becoming available statewide. Currently, the OWP will cover the cost of physician and physician assistant wellness counseling and telemedicine services in Central Oregon through a collaborative agreement with the Central Oregon Medical Society (COMS). During the next several months, similar services will be implemented through collaborative agreements with the other regional medical societies and two statewide institutional programs. Membership in an Oregon medical society is encouraged but not required to access the OWP services.